Chef Emmanuel Stroobant pays tribute to Singapore’s unofficial national dish with this delectable recipe.
CHILLI CRAB QUICHE
Butter (room temperature) [150g]
Egg yolk 
- Combine flour and butter.
- Add salt and sugar. Then add egg yolk and mix until incorporated.
- Add milk slowly.
- Flatten and wrap dough in cling film. Set for 2 hours.
- Once ready, roll out to 3mm thick and blind bake at 180°C for 20 minutes.
Celery [1 stalk, peeled and diced]
Carrot [1, peeled and diced]
Onion [4g peeled and diced]
2 live Kegani or 1 mud crab [1kg]
- Bring 4 litres of water to boil with celery, carrots and onions.
- Blanch crab for 15 minutes. Remove crab from water.
- Pick the meat, egg and fat.
Garlic [3 cloves, peeled]
Shallot [3, peeled]
Chilli padi 
Red chilli 
Dried chillis [10, soaked in water for 2 hours]
Soy sauce [50ml]
Crab stock or water [400ml]
Sugar syrup [50ml]
Tomato ketchup [50ml]
Olive oil [50ml]
- Blend garlic, shallot and all chillies to a paste
- Add 200ml crab stock of water
- Fry the paste in olive oil until thick and fragrant. This may take 8-10 minutes
- Add remaining stock, sugar syrup and tomato ketchup and cook for 1 minute.
- Place picked crab meat on the tray.
- Combine sauce with eggs. Cover crab meat with egg sauce.
- Bake at for 180°C for 12 minutes.